Chapter 4 is about endurance in the face of setbacks. Paul feels beaten up in many ways, but also hopeful. His perspective on the great value of the ministry given to him keeps him going even when he’s physically and emotionally exhausted. He focuses on the eternal, not the temporary.
So maybe some questions would be:
- How do we focus on the temporary instead of the eternal?
- What makes us want to give up on life and ministry?
- When was a time that we persevered even when it seemed hopeless?
- When was a time that we gave up?
- How do you know when it’s wise to give up vs. the wisdom of perseverance?
- How do we carry our treasure in “earthen vessels?” What is our treasure?